22 August 2007

Earthquakery

I spent the day as a volunteer in front of the Miraflores municipal building. We sorted clothes, packed boxes, and organized relief supplies for the victims of the recent earthquake near Pisco and Ica. We had quite an international group, too, with participants hailing from such far-flung places as Ireland, Canada, Spain, and France. There were also some Peruvian medical students and other interesting locals, including this one guy who put on a clown nose and played the trombone for us. I asked one of the med student feminas to take me to a peña (folk music bar) when I come back to Lima. I think she thought I was trying to pick her up, but she agreed when I suggested she bring her friends. Sadly, I couldn't stick around for the celebratory pisco sours after the volunteering day was over.

No comments: