18 September 2007

Colca Cola

I trekked around Colca Canyon in record time, and it didn't kill me. As usual, I did in a total of six hours what everyone says takes nine (and in two days what most people do in three, because I don't like enjoying things leisurely--that's for tourists). First day was a four hour hike down the steep, steep wall of the canyon, over the river, and then a traverse along the side and through some villages. I crossed the river one more time at the very end and stayed for $1.50 in a bamboo hut at a place called "Oasis". They served spaghetti for dinner, and I got to use my travel chopsticks again (thanks, Ryoko!). I met two cool guys there, too. One was a kiwi recently made redundant and spending his severance doing his own long-distance, long-term traveling. The other was a Spanish guy from Majorca who used to be a professional tennis player and now teaches lessons. Every September, he gives himself a trekking holiday. He may have convinced me to tail-end my excursion with a 30 day pilgrimage across the north of Spain to Santiago de Compostela. He's the second Spaniard I've met here who's exuberantly recommended it. Then again, I've known too many Spaniards...

No comments: